Friday, June 5, 2009

Baby steps


I awoke this morning to the sound of workers downstairs - the asbestos abatement gentleman - back for day two, or so I thought. They took down all the plastic and warning signs and said they'd be back on Monday and I was too out of it to find out why. Maybe it had something to do with the horrid weather here today or maybe they took one look at the crawlspace and decided that it was Friday and they were in no mood to crawl in there to suck out asbestos. Who could blame them either way. In any case - that is first of many delays I'm sure. We now have access to the hazardous area once again and so I was able to inspect the progress. They peeled away three layers of flooring - one layer of carpet and two layers of asbestos tile. What is left is yet another layer of floor tile (non asbestos) that is, unfortunately, glued to the hardwood floor below it. My contractor is not too encouraging about the ability to resurrect the original floors. I need to wait until the hall and Family Room floors are demolished next week before I can go into Plan B for flooring.

Then, of course, there are the random holes in the floor that give one a great peek into the crawl space. This entertained my Welsh Terrier for an hour this morning. If only floors could talk! The good news is that we have access to the back yard and the garage for the weekend which is supposed to be glorious here in Richmond. Our neighbors are putting on an alley party tonight and I'm looking forward to meeting the folks that we share the alley with and yet never see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment