Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Calla Lillies are in bloom again


Such a strange flower, suitable for any occasion. These famous lines in the film about "calla lilies" were taken from the unsuccessful 1933 Broadway play The Lake, in which Hepburn had starred (the dialogue became parody material for Hepburn impersonators for the remainder of the star's legendary career).

I just discovered these flowers blooming in my garden and whenever I pass them I think of Katharine Hepburn and wonder who it was who carefully planted my back yard. It is very exciting to see the garden unfolding for the first time for me.



















In the rear of the yard is a very old wisteria vine and in the foreground are some ancient English boxwoods. There isn't much more for Harry Homeowner and I to do except fill some pots and relax in the Adirondack chair with a glass of wine.
Look at that poodle pretending not to want to chomp down on that quiche!!












The most wonderful thing about yards in our neighborhood is that they are all fenced in so now my dogs can be let out at any time of day or night and I know that they are safe and unable to roam. Of course, any Welsh Terrier worth his or her salt, will attempt to breach any and all borders.
This is the gate that keeps them in.

It is tiring trying to escape all day. The Welshie, Harvey, has successfully breached the eastern border and entered my neighbors house and went promptly upstairs. Luckily for me that neighbor is a dog lover.

Interior framing has started this week and I have learned that we're ahead of schedule Photos don't do it justice quite yet so I'll wait a few more days to shoot their work.

1 comment:

  1. Your yard looks wonderful. So interesting to see what flowers emerge. In our first house we had a "lemon" azalea - yellow flowers, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete