Monday, September 21, 2009

Checkers, anyone?


My dear friend and talented artist, Anji Johnston, came down last week to turn my kitchen floor into a big checkerboard game. You may remember that the original kitchen floors could not be rescued from their life under three layers of laminate and one layer of carpet and had to be put to rest. The replacement, 5" wide yellow pine boards were laid down with not a flaw in sight. Most people would think that is good. I was afraid I'd made a huge mistake. Because there was no way to make the transition from antique heart pine to brand new yellow pine with stain (to my liking) I decided to have the floors painted. The color palette was chosen - brown (to help transition from heart pine) and gray - to be happy with the white cabinets and gray wall paint.
In the photo above you can see how the old heart pine and new flooring come together. We struggled a while to get the brown color correct as every brown that went onto the yellow boards turned green. The final solution was to squeeze a tube of artist's acrylic crimson red into the bucket of Benjamin Moore Lenox Tan. The grey squares are Wickham Grey on top of the Lenox Tan.
Poor Anji's knees will never be the same. The paint really couldn't be rolled on and still have the grain show through so she ragged it on. Above is a photo of the Lenox tan (doctored up) going down onto the raw wood. After we were happy with the first coat the taping began. Do you remember much about geometry? It was the only math class that I did well in. I loved my teacher, Mr. Black, and drawing all of the shapes and doing the proofs. So, I loved watching this floor evolve and helping to figure out the pattern. Then the taping began.
We could only tape one row at time, then pull up the tape and lay down the next row. After all of the squares were done and the tape removed, Anji sealed it with three coats of Coronado sealant. My fingers are crossed that it will withstand the antics of the two dogs. Stay tuned. In any case, I could not be happier with the way it turned out and can't wait for the rest of the kitchen to be complete so I can go down and start living with it. The sink is being installed today and tomorrow the stone folks come to do a template for the Carrera marble.

After Anji finished the floors I high tailed it up to northern Virginia to attend a party in honor of Eddie Ross and Jaithan Kochar at the home of Michele Ginnerty of My Notting Hill. I never imagined I could have so much fun at a party where I literally knew no one. I met so many fun and interesting people in addition to Eddie, Jaithan and Michele. Bob of Homer's Odd Isn't He was great to chat with as was Pat of Pat's Addition and Lauren of Pure Style Home. Terri of WindLost was so nice to meet as was her boyfriend, David. I know I'm leaving someone out so I apologize in advance. Of course, we all have so much in common so there was no lull in the conversations. In addition to the fun attendees, Michele's husband whipped up some delicious food and the wine never stopped flowing. Eddie and Michele

Home again home again jiggety jog. Many projects were waiting for me when I got back including painting the powder room ceiling in preparation for the wallpaper hanger to come this Friday, painting the window trim in the laundry before the washing machine and dryer show up, painting some chandelier chain to match the fixture before the electrician wrings my neck not to mention grocery shopping, playing with the dogs, oh - and doing some work to bring in some cash to pay for all of this fun.

10 comments:

  1. Linda, It was so nice to meet you at Michele's party on Friday night. I have really enjoyed getting caught up on your blog and being inspired by your renovation. I am especially intrigued by your checkerboard floor! I have cherry cabinets in my kitchen with ceramic tile on the floor that I want to replace. My preference would be to go with wood but I don't care for the look of stained cabinets with stained wood floors. Hmm. Have you done anything special with your dishwasher installation to protect against leaks that would ruin the floor? Also, would you share the make and model of the washer/dryer you are installing as I am also about to replace mine?
    Thanks for any advice you can share!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, it was so lovely to meet you on Friday! We sneaked away without my getting a card back to you, so here's me: annie@bossycolor.com, www.bossycolorblog.blogspot.com. Best of luck with your excellent renovation (HUGE fan of checkerboard floors, btw!) I look forward to staying in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnneHH! We have not done anything about the dishwasher!! We coated the floors with three coats of Coronado sealer (sold at Benjamin Moore) in a "dull" finish. I guess I'd better never leave the house while its running. How about limestone for your floors? That would have been my first choice but I didn't want the elevation change. For washer/dryer: Whirpool top loading - Energy star - Cabrio. Just installed yesterday! Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda- it was so great to meet you at the party!!! I'm CRAZY about your new floors!!! just gorgeous!!!

    I want to go with checkers in my laundry room but that's a while away.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love those floors! Everyone at the party was right, you have a great house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the checkerboard floors! I'm contemplating painting the old pine floors in our guest bedroom, but have got to get my courage up first!

    I've enjoyed reading your blog - I'm in the Fan too, and did a duplex to single family renovation about six years ago. Whew! Look forward to seeing it come to completion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi -- lovely blog! Now I am frittering away some time, too, when I should be otherwise engaged.
    Your floor is really lovely-- and that is a real friend who would come and work with you on that project.
    Lenox Tan and White Dove -- both colors I used in our old house, too. No painted floors -- and NONE of our floors match... some are 176-year old wideboard pine, others old oak, others ????. who knows?

    Thanks for stopping by -- good luck on the continued renovation. It is so rewarding!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Linda - Thanks for the comment. I don't know what's up with Garnett's... I don't think it's open yet. Some friends on the next block are keeping an eye out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda, I'm a fellow Richmonder (live in Byrd Park, so not too far from you probably) and was wondering at what consignment store you purchased that lantern-style fixture you featured in your Nantucket post? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Byrd Park! I got that fixture at Impulse. Nice shop but as always, hit or miss. That day I hit it. Any other consignment shop suggestions?

    ReplyDelete