Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Right Up My Alley


Okay, it isn't technically my alley but I walk in it everyday and so it is a little bit mine. It is a secret garden, a little bit of heaven in the city. I don't know who did all of this work but I'm very grateful for the daily pass through.There are hundreds of perennials and shrubs.Even their old garage doors look charmingThey even decided to place all of their rubbish bins together out of sight.
Most of the alleys in our neighborhood look like this -
There isn't much you can do to beautify this long row of garages - the abandoned sofa lends a homey feel, though, don't you think? It does look like they're trying to keep ahead of the graffiti, though, which is a hard job in itself.

Another alley that I enjoy visiting is Mule Barn Alley. I can only imagine that this is where the mules lived - now it houses a cool condo. Also in the alley is the workshop of Nicholai Smith of Spartan Metalwerks. The interior design firm that I work for, Elizabeth Hague, Inc. uses his talents for custom lamps, tables, and bar stools. The statue of Lady Liberty is for sale. You can contact Nick for pricing.
This is the entrance to the alley behind our house. I fell in love with this gate the moment I laid eyes on it. Our alley isn't as bad as some. It is funny that people don't devote as much effort into the backs of their houses as they do the fronts. A few plantings and putting the rubbish bins away would go a long way in making this alley lovely.

I guess we could set an example by painting the mismatched garage doors and ripping out those horrid bushes. Another project for another day.

Lots of progress was made on the inside of the house this week. the walls in the Kitchen (Benjamin Moore Classic Gray) and the Family Room (Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan) were painted as was the trim throughout (Benjamin Moore White Dove). The floors except for the Kitchen were sanded and coated with polyurethane.
To refresh your memory - here is the "before"

Doors previously used as dining room doors and back hallway doors have been repurposed as closet and powder room doors. Tomorrow the kitchen cabinets arrive, but, unfortunately I won't be here to welcome them. I'm off to Atlanta on a buying trip (will post on that next week) and I'm hoping to return to see the cabinets and appliances all in place. I love having something to look forward to!
















3 comments:

  1. Oh I know and love that alley! I used to walk the double stroller and then the trikes thur it everyday. we always found a knew treasure. There's also an alley with a hidden playground. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean Shuffletown? If so, yes. Fun meeting you and you husband last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flower Alley is a treat isn't it? I always get a kick out of thinking that it's right off Meadow.

    I've heard that there's another nice little green space between the Historical Society and the VMFA, too. Haven't been yet.

    Good luck with the renovations. I keep saying our place will be perfect in about thirty years.

    ReplyDelete