Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hanover Halloween - Part One

Waiting for Trick or Treaters

I think it was the day we moved to Richmond (March) that a neighbor asked us if we had heard about Halloween on Hanover Avenue. It sounded ominous, as if it should have been in the disclaimer documents. We admitted that we had not heard of it and this neighbor was all too happy to report that, for what ever reason, Hanover Avenue is the "go to" street for Halloween. I can not get an answer from anyone as to why this is, all I get is "you need to start buying candy now". Estimates vary from 1,000 pieces of candy needed to 3,ooo pieces. I don't know where all of these children come from as I only see one or two on a regular basis!! Someone told me that they are bused in - from where?? No one can say. It is all a mystery and I'm sure I won't have any answers until November 1st.

What happened to the simpler days when all I had to do was hang a cardboard skeleton on the door and carve a pumpkin and dress Matt like a cowboy (that was easy - he was a cowboy everyday!). As you can see from the image above, I was very ambitious that year and hung an ear of corn on the door. And we had one too many trips to the pumpkin patch. It looks like I didn't even bother to carve that year!! And I think I debated about whether I needed two or three bags of candy.

Now I live in a neighborhood where people light up all the trees like it's Christmas.
You wouldn't think of carving a pumpkin without a stencil. And I need 1000 pieces of candy.

Sometime after the youngest child left for college I lost any love I had for Halloween. It just wasn't the same without them. I didn't know too many of the neighborhood kids and I was too busy trying to sell a house to really want to celebrate. While going through the basement storage area I came upon a box of disparate costume bits and threw them all away. I was done with Halloween. We even turned out all the lights and went out to eat last year, returning after we were sure it would be over.

I don't know what happens in the universe between Washington and Richmond but these folks really like to celebrate the holidays. Maybe it is all the artists and musicians living together in close quarters or maybe its the water. Not sure. In any case, my friend, Beth, and I set out to start hoarding bags of candy late last week. We were given advice to go to Price Club for their big bag of candy but can I tell you that it costs $12.00 for 100 pieces? I suggested we head over to the dollar store (Dollar Tree) to see if we could do any better. Phew. I bought 40 bags of candy for $40.00 Deal. So each child will get one roll of smarties. Or maybe one little box of Sugar babies. When I've given out the 999th piece of candy I will hang a sign on the door "Candy is all gone", take a roll of smarties and head inside for a large glass of wine. And don't forget, Halloween is on a Saturday this year. I hope the Richmond police have thought of that.I did buy a couple of decorations and I'm hoping to get into the mood between now and then.

Stay tuned for Part two.

5 comments:

  1. A few more decorations maybe? Just a few?! Love the pics of the boys - those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get ready ... Halloween on Hanover is a doozy! And good people-watching, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it will be on TV...there's always a camera crew

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be my first Halloween on Hanover St. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one told me about the Halloween on Hanover thing either when I moved in. I really do think it should be disclosed! :)

    I joined Costco just so I can buy candy on the cheap. 250 peices of chocolate for about $8. A great deal and worth the membership fee just for Halloween.

    This will be my 3rd Halloween on the street and I'm getting better at it. My decorations still aren't up to par with the neighborhood but I'm starting to fit in.

    ReplyDelete