Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hanover Halloween Part Two


Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago that I was swimming in the Atlantic Ocean? Summer has let go of its grasp and Autumn is in full throttle. I'm working on getting out of my "goodbye to summer" funk and trying very hard to get into the holiday spirit. Living on this street makes that pretty easy. I was out walking the dogs this afternoon and the decorations have really gotten ramped up. The feeling of anticipation is especially apparent in the next block. In addition to all of the trees being lit, the street has now been invaded by ghosts. This neighbor was hard at work putting the finishing touches on his display. Very impressive.

I love these jack o'lanterns.
And these, especially the one with just holes. LOVE! I'm going to copy that for next year.

This is going to scare the "you know what" out of some trick or treaters.

So now the decorator in me is wishing that I had done more to adorn Haven. My excuse is the renovation -- I promise to do better next year.

So, in my continuing self-appointed role as ambassador from Virginia to the blogosphere, we went in search of changing foliage in the mountains this weekend. We're about two hours from the Blue Ridge Parkway so we headed out, dogs in tow, to climb up and look out from Crabtree Falls.

Some time last year my very favorite pair of hiking boots gave out after ten years of faithful service. They were Asolo's. My feet never got blisters, nor wet, and my ankles were supported through miles and miles of hikes here and abroad. I really missed them Sunday on this rocky and slippery trail, especially being pulled along by the mush dogs. Despite being obsessed about falling in my sneakers, the hike was amazing. The trail was a bit crowded and for good reason - the views of the falls and surrounding mountains was worth the price of admission ($3.00).
Some time ago I read that waterfalls are nature's Prozac. Something to do with the ions being released into the air, I think. I'm the ambassador, not the resident scientist, so someone else can explain it. However, I believe it to be true. There is something about being around rushing water that soothes the savage beast. Except in the case of terriers.
He's looking pretty calm here but don't let it fool you.
The pay off

We always judge a hike based on what we call the pay off at the end. In this case, the climb was worth the effort. I think we're nearly at peak color.

Here are some more views of autumn in Central Virginia.

I am always so sad to see summer go but somehow this makes up for it.
I've recently enrolled in an acrylic painting class. After this hike I ran out to buy a tube of orange paint. More on that another day!!

The renovation is probably at 98% completion. I have to say it makes me sad. I've grown accustomed to having a crew in my house every day and loved having most of them around. Here is a quick update. In another posting I'll get more down and dirty with the details.Above is the Living Room before the renovation. Shiny mahogany floors - just not me.

The pre-finished mahogany flooring was removed and we all held our breath to see what kind of shape the original floors would be in. After all, who covers up perfectly good heart pine with another flooring? I don't have an answer for that so if you do, help me out. Other than the nail holes from the mahogany installation, the floors are beautiful and can now breathe free. A oil sealer was put down and now we're waiting for them to cure before placing rugs and furniture. In the meantime, we've painted the Living Room Benjamin Moore Pearl Grey. The swatch on the left is Wickham Gray and the one on the right is Pearl Gray.

Here is it completed with White Dove trim. How to decorate the shelves is keeping me up at night.

I'm also losing sleep over what to do in the Dining Room. I need to get crackin' as my entire family (17) is coming for Thanksgiving. I wonder if the neighborhood decorates for that holiday as well.

3 comments:

  1. 17 for Thanksgiving! WoW! At least you will get to use the new kitchen to it's fullest potential - and the gorgeous new loo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pumpkin! And the pooches they are so cute.
    I just found the blog, great projects.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog via another blog and clicked on it because of the snow picture. So, I was scrolling through and saw this photo of your book shelves, which are gorgeous. I wanted to know if you ever accessorized/decorated them? I would love to see a photo because we just had some built in our house and I can relate to your comment about "keeping you up at night." ;)

    ReplyDelete