Monday, January 11, 2010

Bead-less in Richmond

One of the things I miss most about my former life is my beading group. I joined Northern Virginia Bead Society several years ago and through that organization, and several classes at Star's Beads in Vienna, got hooked on beads, wire, silver, etc. I was also part of a group that got together on Fridays and we would help each other on projects, learn a new technique or go on a field trip. Lasting friendships came out of that group and I try like heck to keep them going. One of the highlights of the year in the Bead Society is the challenge bead project. The membership is given a bead or set of beads and the directive is to create something with them and show up at the Christmas party for a show and tell. It isn't a competition, just a fun show and tell.

This year we commissioned Lisa St. Martin to make a glass bead for each of us. This is what we all received: Photo courtesy of Anji Johnston

This year we arranged to have the pieces in a show at the Lorton Workhouse Arts Center.
This is a wire bracelet that I created using the focal bead and other lamp work beads created by Lisa.

Susi DuPuis creates beautiful flowers with old plastic containers - recycle art!!
Beth Eltinge combines her talents with peyote, Russian spiral and brick stitches to create this lariat.
Alison Lovitt-Reinfeld creates amazing multiple strand necklaces.

Denise Rivers combined her talents in wirework, bead crochet and bead stringing to create this masterpiece.

A gorgeous creation by Janet Flynn

And last but not least, Raye Ann Fife combines bead embroidery with semi-precious stones - just incredible.

There are several more pieces not pictured here. The show is up until the end of January so if you find yourself on I-95 near the Lorton exit you should pull off and see the show and visit the other studios. What a great re-use of an old prison. If walls could talk!!!
Here are some of the talented crew - I miss you guys!!!

Thanks to Julie Glixon for letting me use her photos.

Is there a bead community lurking out there in RVA? There are a few great shops but they don't seem to offer the same caliber of classes that I had access to in the northern part of the state.

That's okay - I'm thoroughly ensconced in my acrylic painting class right now.
I think this painting is done - how does one know when to stop??

4 comments:

  1. This turned out great Linda - what next?!
    I think it is time to move on to water colours- yes, really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such talent. The colors in the painting are gorgeous.

    Stars Beads. Oh, I could spend hours in there. It's been a couple years since I visited, but yikes, what a treasure trove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Beads on Parade in Fredericksburg ... just an hour north of you. They have wonderful classes, and I'll bet they can hook you up with a group.
    ...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out the Vis Arts Center on Main Street.

    ReplyDelete