Sunday, January 3, 2010

Looking Forward and Back


I, for one, am glad it is over. I felt a bit melancholy this year - I guess because I'm in a new city and, although I loved all the Richmond festivities, I missed my old friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. I also lost a beloved uncle on Christmas Eve which, although not unexpected, still sent us all reeling and trying to figure out how to get to Erie, PA and then deciding not to go as they were having yet another snow storm thanks to that lake effect situation that they are always in at this time of year. I did snap out of it from time to time thanks to a visit to my older sister's house outside of Baltimore and a visit to the in-laws in Reading, PA. A stop in Reading is not complete without at least one pint of beer and a Reuben sandwich at the Ugly Oyster bar in downtown Reading and a visit to the Vanity Fair outlet for some new sneakers and the after Christmas wrap and card sale. After a stop in D.C. to get a few days of work in and a visit to my friend Loi and his new home, I was ready to come back to Richmond and put all of the Christmas decorations away.

I'm trying to look forward and not back so, although I don't make New Year's resolutions, I think this is a good time of the year and my life to make some lists.

1. Get out from behind the computer and get to know Richmond better.
2. Paint more often. I started an acrylic class last year and I am enjoying it and hope to make major strides this year with the help of my teacher, Adele Castillo. Credit goes to Anji Johnston for her suggestion that I pick up a paint brush. This blog is likely to become more of an art blog as decorating funds have dried up. This painting of pears is in progress.And here is an under painting of some peonies that I will take to class tomorrow. Depending on how it goes I'll post more photos of it Tuesday.
3. Jog the entire Ukrop's 10K. I haven't lived in Richmond long enough to have gotten attached to Ukrops grocery store but most long time Richmonders are in mourning after the sale of their beloved grocery to the same company that owns Giant (Washington, D.C.) However, I have lived here long enough to know the Ukrop's family is extremely generous to charities and the 10K is one example of that. The race goes down Monument avenue - a few blocks from Haven. Harry and I are in training.
4. Start doing the research into materials for renovating the Master Bath. Here is a before:
The space itself is quite large and it has a gorgeous Palladian window that lets in tons of natural light.Welshie soaking up the rays on a 20 degree day.

Lots of issues need to be resolved - like - lose the linen closet and install a shower? Heat the floors? Take the tile way up onto the 10' walls? Double vanity or single? I'm not sure when we'll get to this but hopefully in 2010. I can't stand the gray carpet much longer. Another "before" shot.

I could add a zillion more things but will spare you for now.

Happy 2010 from Haven on Hanover!!


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Just wanted to wish you a happy 2010. I understood exactly what you meant about the snow in Erie. My husband wanted to drive up there and visit an elderly aunt, but the snow was more than he wanted to deal with.

    By the way, your master bath looks pretty darn good the way it is. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen - the photos must not reflect the awful state that it is in. Gray stained carpet, really gross vanity, cracked tiles, toilet running, etc. etc! I'll take better photos when we get around to that project. Hopefully in this decade!
    Happy New year and let's all try for Erie in the spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no...I loved Ukrops! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your visit to hill country house. I wish you well in your renovations - it is hard to know how to prioritize sometimes. I LOVE your dog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking forward to the bath renovation...
    your kitchen reno is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, is that a dummy sitting on the toilet? Love your house and would love to see an update.

    ReplyDelete