Monday, April 26, 2010

Countdown to the Kitchen and Garden Tour - Part 2


A few posts back I mentioned that I was going off to the paint store to buy turquoise paint for the shed's door and shutters. Harry loved the old crusty paint but it was a little too rough for my taste. I fell in love with a shutter color of a house I admire on Monument Avenue so I've attempted to put a little of that in my garden. Painting the shed's opening was first on my "to do" list for this weekend.

This was my first attempt:I knew right away it wasn't right - way too light and bright for the crusty shed shutters. Then I decided that I didn't want the door and the shutter all the same color so - back to the paint store again. This is not a chore - I love the paint store and all the people that work there. I've also been influenced by my next door neighbor's screen - I love to look out my kitchen window at it (and my Westie plant bracket which reminds me of my first dog, Lambchop). Here's what I wound up with:Ahhhhhhh - much better. I did the gecko mosaic in a class at my friend Bonnie's studio in Vienna Virginia - Maverick Mosaics.

Another fun chore was hanging the flag pole bracket so that the flag that advertises the event can go up and hang there this week.

I need to make a couple more trips to the nursery for more potted plants. That really could go on forever - I need to decide where to stop.

Our very nice neighbors gave us a load of hostas. Hostas don't really like being transplanted so late in the game - hopefully they'll perk up before Sunday.







7 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! I, too, know the Mon. shutters you speak of ... I love them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous - you must tell me what colours you used!! I love the gray green on the shutters. Your home is sooooo gorgeous. I am almost excited to think about our next home in, say, 10 years...it will be better and better and is worth the wait!

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colors. Have fun on your tour -- I think they are loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your pictures. Especially the garden. We lived many years ago in Franklin, Va. and visited the azalea garden in Norfolk each spring. What glorious blossoms. Your home is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete