Monday, April 12, 2010

The Week of Wisteria


When we purchased Haven I was so excited that there was a very mature Wisteria vine on the trellis in our back yard. However, when spring came around there were very few blossoms and I was very disappointed and not sure why it didn't really bloom.

About a week and a half ago Harry said - "look at the wisteria" - so I glanced out the window and saw hundreds of blossoms about to burst. According to a neighbor, the previous owner had whacked the heck out of it before putting the house on the market and it needed a year to recover.

Here it is about to burst - the azalea gets the short shrift.
The poodle likes it, too.
Here it is at peak.
Wish I could post the fragrance - it was very strong.


This photo was taken this morning - the petals are dropping and the color seems to have faded. So has the fragrance. I really wish it could stay around longer to keep us company. I love almost everything about it. I love the word, "wisteria". I love its soft shade of lavender, the aroma it lets off is intoxicating, I haven't tried to eat it but the bees sure love it. HOWEVER, how could something so beautiful also be so deadly? Its next door neighbor - the crepe myrtle is being slowly choked to death. Harry is going to have to get up there and save her so that I can enjoy her blossoms later in the summer. Another item on the "honey do" list.



I can almost hear Myrtle gasping for air.

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful - I envy that lovely climate you have, making all these marvelous things bloom! Forgot you worked for Eliz Hague - you did tell me that. Incredible stuff! Thanks for dropping by and good luck with the genealogy - keep us posted if you find more.

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fleeting. Cherry blossoms are now lining the street here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wisteria looks beautiful - so glad it recovered from the previous owner.

    ReplyDelete