Thursday, April 8, 2010

So Neighborly


Last night the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts invited their neighbors, i.e. people living in the Fan and Museum District in for a preview of the galleries before they re-open their doors after a long renovation.

When Harry and I moved to Richmond last year the museum was getting ready to close for a long period of time, and, unfortunately I never made it in before they did. We had, as a family, years ago come down to see the Egyptian traveling exhibit that they had - never thinking for a minute that some day I would be a neighbor.

So, Harry and I walked the seven blocks down to get a sneak peak. The director gave a slide presentation about the renovation and then turned us loose into the new spaces. Many of the rooms haven't had their art hung yet - the official opening is May 1. I can't wait to go back and take my time in each of the galleries.
Hi Elvis - I'll come back and see you later.



This is a view from above the new entrance. Wow.

Wow again.




This is a view through huge glass windows to "Grove House" - this building will be for research staff.
It is so open and airy - just the kind of space one needs to experience great art.

I hated to leave last night - but I will be back very soon. Admission will be free and they're going to be open every day and some evenings!!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your photos of the new wing of VMFA. The new space is very cool. It's great that the museum invited area residents to preview the wing. There wasn't any art in the wing when Tony and I shot it for Boomer magazine...can't wait till member's preview day April 29!!!

    ReplyDelete