Tuesday, April 6, 2010

History of Haven

Hollywood Cemetery

One of the questions I've been asked by the committee that heads the Fan Woman's Kitchen and Garden tour is if I know anything of the history of my house so that they can pass that information on to the people on the tour. Who built the house, who were the first inhabitants, etc.? Gosh, I have no idea - but wouldn't it be fun to find out? I was told I could get started at the Virginia Historical Society and so one morning I walked over to start the research. Richmond published City directories nearly every year from 1870 to the present. Beginning with 1879–80, all directories contain a section devoted to street addresses arranged in alphabetical order by street name and then arranged numerically by address. The previous owner left a plaque that states that the house was built in 1905 so I started with the 1905 directory and went to Hanover Avenue but didn't find my number - the numbering stopped in the previous block. So I grabbed 1906 and found my address and learned that it was inhabited by Lucy O. Michaels, widow. J.E. I wasn't sure what the J.E. stood for but hoped that it was her deceased husbands initials. I pulled directories from 1906 through 1920 and Lucy continued living here. In 1921 it transferred to Sarah Tyler - another widow. Hmm. What's happening to the husbands??

The VHS didn't have much more to offer in the way of Richmond building research so I walked back home and got onto the computer to see if I could find out anything more about Lucy. I was hoping that I'd find her at Hollywood Cemetery. Hollywood is the cemetery in Richmond where everyone who was anyone was buried. Not only that it is one of the prettiest places around. Overlooking the James River, it is a large, sprawling spot characterized by rolling hills and winding paths and it is the resting place of two United States Presidents, James Monroe and John Tyler, as well as the only Confederate States President, Jefferson Davis. It is also the resting place of 25 Confederate generals, more than any other cemetery in the country. Included are George Pickett and J.E.B. Stuart.

Its name, "Hollywood," comes from the enormous holly trees dotting the hills of the property.

Hollywood Cemetery is one of Richmond's major tourist attractions. There are many local legends surrounding certain tombs and grave sites in the cemetery, including one about a little girl and the black iron statue of a dog standing watch over her grave.

That's Harvey the Welsh terrier keeping his distance.

I logged onto their website and used the search engine. Not only did I find Lucy but I found her late husband and some other members of the Michaels family. I made note of the plot number and headed back out the door.

My next stop was to the Library of Virginia. The Library of Virginia was created by the General Assembly in 1823 to organize, care for, and manage the state's growing collection of books and official records — many of which date back to the early colonial period.

I sat down at a computer and used their subscription to Ancestry.com to look up the Michaels family in the U.S. census records. I first checked the 1880 census and found Lucy and Robert E. living on West Clay Street. She was 22 and he was 32 and it stated that he was a grocer. Also living at that address were Erwin P. - aged 4 and Robert E., Jr. aged 4 months.

In the 1900 census I found her living on 112 Plum Street - it seems Mr. Michaels had passed away by then.

The 1910 Census showed her in my house on Hanover along with Robert E., Luette, Edward, Mary and Lucy Taylor (aunt) and Pellam Johnson (servant).

Now, on to Hollywood cemetery where the nicest gal in the office gave me a map and a xerox of everyone buried in the plot as well as information on the funeral home that handled Mr. Michaels funeral in case I want to find out how he died.

I followed the map and soon found the family plot.

Poor Lucy was a widow in her thirties - did she continue to run the grocery? She had some kind of income in order to support a large household and a servant.

The room that I currently use as my office/studio I'm sure was Pellam Johnson's room. It is close to the back stair case which leads to the kitchen.

The family lived here at Haven until 1920. I hope they were as happy here as I am.

I've contacted the Valentine History Center to see if I can find out anything else about Lucy and Robert Michaels but haven't heard back from them. I would love to know more...........


5 comments:

  1. This is such an intriguing post. I hope you learn more about the Michaels family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally fascinating - great detective work. I love this kind of stuff and hope you are able to find out more. Let's hope there is no husband curse on the house - just in case, get him to increase his life insurance - haha - kidding!!!!

    I have done a lot of my family's genealogy and found a census where my great-grandmother was listed as the 14-year old neighbour to the man who would eventually become her (much older) husband after his wife died. No need to guess now how they met - I was so shocked to see his name next door on the census register. He was listed as 29 and married - a few years later when his wife died, he snatched up the little girl (then 18) next door. A little creepy, but you know, in those days in the country, there was not much to choose from. Luckily, they lived a long, happy and prosperous life and my Grandma said they were very happy.

    So it is wonderful what serendipitous things one finds - so glad you visited that grave.

    Good luck.
    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I always knew I could find the history on my house, I just didn't know the steps. Thanks for walking me through it. I'll have to head to the VHS soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tread cautiously. Genealogy and history research is definitely a slippery slope. One discovery fuels the next, and the next, and so on ... and soon you're springing for your own subscription to Ancestry.com, staying up till all hours of the night researching everyone you can think of.

    I'm glad to see that someone else loves Hollywood Cemetery as much as I do. I'm practically counting the days until the roses start blooming. I will be there, camera in hand, enjoying the show.

    Good luck with your tour. You've worked very hard ... enjoy it.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super interesting research. Wish I'd done that on our Hanover house.

    ReplyDelete