Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Bird in the Hand


So, Harry's company has asked him to come back to DC to become Chief Engineer at a huge project on the Potomac River. The contract here in Richmond only has about two years left in it, while the one in DC could go on forever, or at least until we want to retire. The bird in hand is the job in DC and the two in the bush are what we would do after the work in Richmond dries up. The non-practical side of me likes the two little birdies sitting in the bush but then the practical side takes over and says, "sure, I don't mind upheaval."

Off we go up I-95 today to look at condos in Alexandria, VA. The company is giving us a living allowance, for now, as we grapple with what to do with our lives in Richmond. The housing market has only gotten worse since we moved here, however, home prices in Alexandria seem to have held steady. Therefore, what we could afford there really pales in comparison to what we have here. Not too mention that we're not finished with the renovations here at Haven that would be necessary to put it on the market. So, we're not even going to entertain selling now as we love it here and are willing, for now, to hang around in DC during the week and trek back to Richmond on the weekend. That all may change as my patience for commuting is nil.

First stop today is a garden style condominium complex, Parkfairfax, near our old home in the City of Alexandria. In 1941, as the Federal Government grew rapidly in response to the Second World War, a housing shortage developed in the Washington area and President Roosevelt asked the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company of New York to develop housing near the Pentagon. The Company purchased 201.7 acres on the western edge of the City of Alexandria, for $282,150. Leonard Schultze and Associates of New York was the architect and Starrett Brothers and Eken, Inc. (builder of the Empire State Building) was the construction company. A total of 286 buildings were built containing 720 one bedroom, 863 two bedroom and 101 three bedroom apartments. The rental office was opened in May 1942 and the first tenants occupied units in October 1942. Metropolitan donated to the City of Alexandria approximately 5 acres and $50,000 for the building of Charles Barrett Elementary School. Among former residents of Parkfairfax are two Presidents of the United States, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. Harry and my first home was in the same neighborhood as this condo complex so I know I can feel at home here.

Having two dogs really drives a lot of the decision making here. I don't want to live in a high rise and have to come down in an elevator at 6:00 a.m. to let them out. The neighborhood around here is great for walking and commuting to both of our jobs should (!) be fairly easy.

Parkfairfax also has several pools - I love to swim and have missed having easy access to an outdoor pool.

Next stop is Fairlington, a townhome complex in Arlington - in the same neck of the woods as Parkfairfax. Fairlington was also constructed as a garden apartment complex to house defense workers and their families during World War II. At the instigation of then President Franklin D. Roosevelt, it was designed by Kenneth Franzheim and associate architect Alan B. Mills. The project was intended to remain a permanent part of the community after the war's end. The first families began moving in during May 1943. By the end of that year, 2,415 apartments were available for occupancy. It remained a rental community until 1972 to 1977 when the units were renovated and sold as condominiums.With its tree-lined streets, proximity to Old Town and walkability, I think I can find a spot here, as well.

Finally, there is one apartment right in Old Town Alexandria that we'll see today. I like the idea of being in Old Town but I think parking and the lack of pool is going to drive me back to the other two options.

Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. Oh good luck in your search! I know it will be a wrench if you end up putting the Richmond house on the market, but just think . . . it means you can tackle another project like that after you retire!

    (I feel safe saying that, as I am too far away for you to bop me on the noggin.)

    And I don't mean to make light of your having to move, but it is true that our real homes are wherever we land with the people we love.

    Especially if there's a pool. Happy hunting... Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have friends who've lived in Fairlington for 20 years and love it. Hope all goes well w/your house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear- I am not good with upheaval, but you live in a beautiful part of the world where I am sure it is possible to find a new place you love. I wish Harry good luck with his big project. I am an engineer too and know that a good project is a ray of sunshine (so you don't have to do too many small annoying crappy ones).

    Good luck with the process!!! xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prayers are with you as you face tough decisions. I know you'll make the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today was a really good day weatherwise for your house hunt, and I hope things went well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been swamped with work and am just catching up on your posts. While I love Central VA, I love, love, love Alexandria (especially the areas where you don't absolutely need a car all the time).

    I can't wait to read the newer posts...

    ReplyDelete