Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Lobby is Open


Harry got all excited last week when he was out in the Short Pump part of Richmond and saw a new store opening, Hobby Lobby. He thought it was going to be a model airplane kind of shop. One look in the window and he discovered he was wrong. He came home sounding very disappointed and it had the opposite effect on me. I made a mental note to get there as soon as I could. I had heard about Hobby Lobby from a neighborhood friend who has been eagerly awaiting the opening. She is from Texas and was very sad when she moved here and found out that there was no Hobby Lobby in Richmond. She even made pilgrimages to Fredericksburg on a regular basis to shop there and she was very excited about the shop opening here.

So today I ventured out to Pump land, as I call it, hoping that the crowds and traffic from the holidays had died down. Hobby Lobby shares a strip mall with Home Depot and Target so the crowds could be bad. I took my chances that the average Richmonder would be sleeping in and afraid to get on the roads as we had some snow last night. Lucky day - no traffic or crowds.

So, art friends, beading friends and decorating friends, a trip to the Lobby is well worth your time. The art supplies are varied and well organized. I didn't spend too much time in the beading aisle as the beading police are watching my every move. I was looking for pillow inserts and they had every size imaginable - even the large 18 x 36 that I'm looking to put on my Living Room sofa. I'll have to tell Harry that they do have a somewhat impressive model section. Michael's craft store has to be shaking in their boots. Hobby Lobby beats their selection hands down and also has home decor items that rival Home Goods. And it looks like they have regular coupons, too. Sorry, Michael's, my heart has been stolen away.

Happy Crafting!

8 comments:

  1. I saw it from the road last week and didn't go in for fear of the crowds! It's such a strange location, sandwiched into that shopping center.

    I didn't even remember what was there before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, when am I come down for my next visit?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We cruised through on Friday night and I had a grand time perusing. Did you see their selection of knobs and pulls and hooks? Great stuff at reasonable (to darn right cheap) prices. I'll be back, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have that here, just Michael's! I love your laundry room - what is the paint color? It looks gray and soft...

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Terri - it is Benjamin Moore Classic Gray - #1548. One of my all time favorites. Great to hear from you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I read about everyone hopping out to the Hobby Lobby and wondered what all they had. Wish we had one from your description. So glad you're back in blogland. The commute isn't that bad, I could do it in 2:20 or so to the Fan, reverse commute tho. Any tall shutters at the salvage? I want to hide the at return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed your Hobby Lobby the other week as I was heading through Short Pump. Our Hobby Lobby up here in Fredericksburg opened right before Christmas, too. Some friends chipped in and got me a $75 gift card for my birthday, and i have had a blast wandering the aisles spending it in nickels and dimes on crafty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noooo!!!! Now I have even more serious Hobby Lobby envy. There is NO H.L. anywhere near us; no fair!
    Although -- this gives me another reason to toodle on down to VA, doesn't it?

    Sorry about your ice; that's far nastier than snow on the roads.

    Stay safe!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete