Wednesday, January 5, 2011

First Visit to The National


I'm embarrassed to admit that last night was my first ever visit to The National Theatre here in Richmond. Friends had purchased tickets to see Greg Allman and invited us along. I was never a huge Allman Brother's fan but Harry wanted to go so being game for just about anything these days I agreed to go. Gosh, we haven't gone out to a concert in the middle of the week in years - if ever. Back in the suburban days it was too hard to do it even on the weekends - the traffic, the crowds, the annoying fans, blah blah blah. But living in the Fan, you hop into your car at 7:00 for a 7:30 concert and you have time to park, grab a beer and find your seat. The concert was so much fun. We had seats about 10 rows back and could really see the musicians perform. No need for binoculars. There was a lot of talent on that stage last night.

The National is a music-lover’s fantasy land. They have a state-of-the-art V-DOSC sound system, only the sixth installed in the country and only the third installed on the East Coast There seemed to be a great view of the stage from anywhere in the venue. With wooden floors, brick walls, and seven full bars, the room’s clean design and sharp style I'd say it is one of the best concert halls I've been to. Another reason to love the River City.

I have to admit I don't know any of the other musicians coming to The National in the next month or so. I've been "out of it" musically for a while but plan to get up to speed this year. I don't want to turn into one of those people who can only listen to the music of their youth. Although, I have to admit I prefer it. It was strange to sit in a theater with lots of graying adults - I don't see us that way!!! Last month I stood in line for tickets to James Taylor (okay, yes, it is music from my youth) and was aghast to see all the old people in line.

That's enough blogging for one week. Off to D.C. for some real work and visiting old friends. Enjoy the rest of the week and weekend.

Happy Listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment